Wednesday, July 4, 2012

OPERATION: Summer

Guys, it's here. Everything is pointing to it. My family has gone to every movie we can get our hands on. Even Snow White and the Huntsman. And yes, we even busted out our scrabble set. That's how you know it's summer. We've been strolling through Waikiki. We even ate out at Roy's. Which means half of our summer budget is gone. All I can say about it is


aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
                                                                   It's that good.
We've also been enjoying the beach. Sunset, Three Tables, Shark's Cove, Waikiki our family's hit them all. Last night we jammed into our car (Mocha is not the most space conscious of dogs) and made our way to Hale'iwa. We wandered to an almost empty beach. It was probably one of the most wonderful evenings I've had all summer.  My dad and I plied on our snorkels, squeezed on our fins and began snorkeling... until Mocha decided she wanted to snorkel too. I won't talk about it too much... it was very emotional. I kept on getting her almost to shore before she would turn back and swim (if swim's the word to use it was more like water galloping) to my dad. It involved me screaming Mocha quite a few times. When we finally got her back to the beach and to my mom and sister my dad and I had a quite an adventurous snorkel. We swam right next to the biggest turtle either of us had ever seen before heading further out and encountering an eel. It was quite large and was giving us pretty clear signals to get off it's property. I was only too happy to comply. Eels have always reminded me of the grumpy neighbor I've never had. Come on, don't tell me you've never had the grumpy neighbor daydreams! Mine usually involve a retired cowboy with no teeth, plenty of whiskers, and a faithful shotgun lying by his side.
 Annnnnyyyyywwwwwhhhhhoooo.
Moral of the story is that snorkeling was amazing. The reef was colorful, and the visibility wonderful once you got out. We headed back to the beach where mom and Deane were reading books. We ordered a take out for a restaurant nearby via phone and enjoyed the sunset while my dad picked it up. And it was amazing. If you ever come to Hawai'i you need to pick yourself up and sprint to Hale'iwa Eats. It's not as good as Roy's but less expensive and very fun.


                                                               Just listen to the girl.
We found ourselves a blue picnic table by the ocean picked up our chopsticks and ate their Ginger Salad, Shrimp with Peanut Sauce and Rice, Shrimp Pad Thai, and a Green Curry we're saving for today's lunch. We had a wonderful time talking and eating and watching the sun slip away.

By the way have a wonderful Independence Day. Watch Where Eagles Dare, drink Rootbeer, and watch fireworks. It truly is a blessing to live in a free country!

1 comment: